The ‘Land of Fire and Ice’ aka Iceland is so much more than just a destination; it is a perfect natural playground of exciting possibilities surrounded by incredible landscapes, where countless adventures beckon and a host of natural wonders await. Reykjavík is the capital of Iceland, located on its south-western coast and yet it is also renowned as the world’s most northern capital city.
The capital’s name is literally translated as ‘Smoky Bay’ after the columns of steam that rise from the hot springs, which can still be visited today. Whether you’re seeking the bustling energy of its cosmopolitan city, the thundering thermal energy in the ground beneath your feet, or the quiet green serenity of the surrounding landscapes, Reykjavík promises a unique experience for all who visit!
Short haul, culture
- Direct flights
- GMT -1hr
- 3hrs from London
- Best year round
In Iceland, you must
- Witness the magical Northern Lights
- Ride a husky sledge through the snow
- Soak up the soothing waters of the aqua Blue Lagoon
- Drive across the glaciers and mountain terrains in quad bikes and 4×4 mountain trucks
- Take to one of Europe’s largest glaciers for Ice climbing
- Dive the waters between two tectonic plates in a dry suit!
- Race snowmobiles across the majestic lunar landscape
- Take a trip to the Gullfoss waterfall and geothermal Geyser area of the Golden Circle
- Stock up on traditional Scandinavian cuisine
- Rest your mind and body with plenty of natural spa treatments to choose from
By Sophie Darbon
Sophie began her career in events back in 2010 after graduating from Bournemouth University with a BA in Events Management. Sophie is passionate about all events but particularly loves working in incentive travel.More articles by Sophie Darbon