As Germany’s second largest city, Hamburg is home to Europe’s second busiest port. Located on the Elbe River, it is often referred to as “the Venice of the North” and boasts more canals than Amsterdam and Venice combined, making a boat trip the perfect way to explore the city. Although the port is at its heart, Hamburg boasts many richly endowed museums and stunning architectural structures, offering plenty more in the field of art and culture.
There is always time to relax and unwind in the city’s upscale shopping malls, and enjoy delicious Hamburg cuisine in some of the finest restaurants Germany has to offer. Come night time, the thriving electronic music scene along with the collection of chic bars and clubs keeps this cosmopolitan city alive into the small hours.
Short haul, culture, relaxation
- Direct flights
- GMT +1hr
- 1hr 45mins from LON
- Best in Winter and Summer
In Hamburg, you must
- Admire the city’s famous architecture, including St Michaelis Church
- Explore the city and harbour by boat, making sure to stop at the historic UNESCO World Heritage site
- Indulge in some retail therapy in the upscale shopping malls
- Visit the world’s biggest model railway at Miniaturwunderland
- Party into the night in the Reeperbahn district
By Sophie Darbon
Sophie began her career in events back in 2010 after graduating from Bournemouth University with a BA in Events Management. Sophie is passionate about all events but particularly loves working in incentive travel.More articles by Sophie Darbon